How It Works
"The implementation of a system that allows a landlord, property management firm, condominium or homeowners association or other multi-tenant property to bill tenants for their individual metered utility usage."
Put more simply - It's a process to transfer responsibility and associated costs for utility usage to individual residents in multi-unit properties. Although submetering ideally utilizes an installed metering system, allocation based processes such as Ratio Utility Billing Systems (RUBS) can also be applied.
- System Development - Submeter Solutions will develop a submetering system that is customized for the property. Every property is unique. Therefore we specifically tailor a system that best fits the specific details of the property layout, utility mechanical/electrical systems, and the reading and billing options based on your requests. We're also flexible - we'll make sure that we deliver the systems and services that work best for you and your budget.
- Supply Equipment – Submeter Solutions is a distributor for leading manufacturers of utility grade meters and Automated Meter Reading (AMR) systems. Equipment will meet all accuracy and regulatory requirements for your project. Equipment will typically be preconfigured at our office prior to shipment.
- Installation – Meters can be installed by you or your contractor, or we can provide a licensed contractor. The meter reading system will be installed by a certified technician from Submeter Solutions. The system will be fully commissioned by our technicians.
- Remotely Read Meters – Submeter Solutions will remotely read the meters each month and calculate utility consumption.
- Calculate Individual Utility Tariffs – Meter consumption data will be imported into our billing software and individual resident tariffs will be calculated based on actual utility rates.
- Bill Residents – Utility bills are created and sent directly to the resident via US Mail or email. The property can opt for in-house collections or it can outsource that function to Submeter Solutions.
- Summary Reports – Submeter Solutions will send reports to the property management that details consumption totals and utility tariffs. Information is made available to import into most major property management software.